We love sushi. If we could eat sushi every day we probably would. These vegan maki rolls are perfect for lunch or a light dinner option. If you’re having company over they also make for a great appetizer!
These are just some of our staple vegan Maki Roll ingredients, but there’s nothing more fun than trying out a bunch of different veggie combinations! You can get really crazy and try vegetables you’ve never heard before, or stick to the traditional ones like we have here.
Vegan Maki Rolls
- 1 cup White Basmati Rice Uncooked
- 4 sheets Nori Paper
- 1 large Carrot Peeled & thinly sliced
- 1/2 Cucumber Peeled & thinly sliced
- 1/2 Red Bell Pepper Thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbsp White Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- Soy Sauce To dip
- Bamboo Sushi Mat
- Add rice and 2 cups of water to a pot. Bring the rice to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 to 20 minutes until all of the water is gone and the rice is cooked through and fluffy.
- While the rice is cooking , heat th rice wine vinegar on medium and add sugar and salt, mixing constantly until the sugar and salt crystals are no longer visible.
- Remove to heat and immediately place in the fridge.
- Once the rice is done cooking, immediately add the cooled rice wine vinegar mixture mixing to coat all of the rice. This will make the rice sticky in order to make the maki rolls.
- Place your bamboo sushi mat on the counter and add place a nori sheet on top. Scoop out 3-4 heaping tablespoons of rice and press around the nori sheet until the sheet is covered in full layer or rice.
- On the bottom 1/5 of the rice covered nori sheet, place a few pieces of your thinly sliced vegetables. Be sure not to use to man vegetable or maki roll won't stay together.
- Starting from the bottom (the end with the vegetables) use the bamboo mat to roll the nori and rice over the vegetables. Continue rolling until you have a completed maki roll, using the bamboo mat to get a tight roll.
- Slice into 8 pieces with a very sharp knife.
- Repeat steps 4 through 7 until all of your rice and nori sheets are used up.
- Serve with soy sauce and enjoy!
*Make different flavours by using your favourite vegetables. Another one of my favourites is sweet potato or avocado and cucumber maki rolls.