Banana bread is a classic recipe, and it’s hard to deny how delicious it is. Before going vegan, banana bread was one of Sigourney’s husband’s favourite treats. Knowing how much he loved it, she knew she had to come up with a delicious vegan banana bread that could pass the husband test.
If you want to change up the flavour, you can add a little cocoa powder to the recipe to give it a chocolatey taste, or you could take it a step further and add some dark chocolate chips.
It may take over an hour to make, but trust us when we say it is well worth it.
Whether you’re making vegan banana bread as a light dessert after a meal, or for your daily breakfast (use your favourite nut butter to give it some extra protein, ours is almond butter), this recipe is always a crowd (or in our case husband) pleaser.
Vegan Banana Bread
- 3 large Bananas over ripe
- 3/4 cup Maple Syrup
- 1 1/2 cups Rolled Oats
- 2 tbsp Ground Flax Seed
- 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Prepare a rectangular loaf pan by lining with a sheet of parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the oats, flour, flaxseed, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg to a food processor on low speed for 30 seconds. Add in the bananas, maple syrup, vanilla and vegetable oil and blend on high for another 30 seconds. Stop to scrape down the sides and blend again as needed until there are no lumps and you are left with a thick batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Top with sliced bananas and/or a sprinkle of rolled oats if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 50 to 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Allow banana bread to cool down. Serve and enjoy!
*Try adding 1/2 cup cocoa nibs for yummy banana chocolate chip bread. **Try serving the banana bread warm with some peanut butter spread on it. ***Banana bread will keep for 3 to 4 days if kept in an airtight container. Ensure the loaf is completely cool before storing.