When we think of winter meals, our minds immediately goes to soup. It’s hearty, warm, and full of flavour! And that’s exactly why we love this savoury root vegetable soup. It’s the ideal way to cram some of the best winter vegetables into one delicious meal.
If this soup were a wine, it would be a full body wine, because the flavours just fill your mouth.
If you’re not a fan of the seasoning, you can definitely make this soup your own by changing up the spices.
Looking for more of a sweet, fall flavor? Throw in some nutmeg and cinnamon. Want strong savoury flavours? Add in more garlic, salt and some onion powder.
Savoury Root Vegtable Soup
- 3 tbsp Coconut Oil Or your oil of preference
- 2 Yellow Onions Chopped
- 2 tbsp Garlic Minced
- 1 Sweet Potato Peeled & cubed
- 1/2 Butternut Squash Peeled & cubed
- 2 Carrots Peeled & chopped
- 2 Parsnips Peeled & chopped
- 6 cups Vegetable Broth
- Water As needed
- 1 tsp Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- In a large pot, melt the coconut oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add sweet potato, squash, carrots, parsnips, and vegetable stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer for at least 30 minutes until vegetables are soft.
- Separate vegetables from vegetable stock, set vegetable stock aside.
- Using a blender, food processor, or hand mixer, blend vegetables to a puree – add vegetable stock as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Serve warm.
*This soup freezes great and makes a large batch, so put in a mason jar and freeze for later. **If using a blender, add a small amount of vegetable stock before blending to help blend. You may need to do in a couple batches and combine after.