Popcorn is a staple snack in both of our households, and is an honourary third founder of Plant-Based City Living. This Salty & Smokey Popcorn has taken our staple snack to the next level. It’s tasty, and low in calories, making it the perfect thing to munch on during the day, or to have when you get home from work to tide you over until dinner.
This is one of the easiest, most versatile snacks. You can eat it plain, make it savoury (like this Salty & Smokey Popcorn), or make it sweet. This is the reason we have Popcorn Kernels as a pantry product.
Although we both like to use coconut oil in our popcorn, you can try an avocado oil or vegetable oil if you don’t like the coconut taste. When we have friends over, we like to make multiple batches and season them with different things. That said, the Salty & Smokey seasoning is always a winner.
Salty & Smokey Popcorn
- 2/3 cup Popcorn Kernels
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
Salt & Smoke Seasoning
- 2 tbsp Smoked Sea Salt Find it at Bulk Barn
- 1/2 tsp Celery Salt
- 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- On medium heat, melt the coconut oil in a large pot
- Once melted, add popcorn kernels and cover with lid. Leave slightly ajar to let moisture out
- While popcorn is popping, in a small bowl, combine smoked salt, celery salt and pepper
- Leave on stove, shaking occassionally, until kernels finish popping - more than 2 second pause between pops
- Once popcorn is done popping, sprinkle seasoning mixture overtop, mixing occasionally to season thoroughly
*I like to triple the seasoning recipe so that I have a large jar of seasoning on-hand instead of making small batches every time.