One thing people struggle with when eating plant-based is coming up with a quick and easy weekend brunch alternative. This Rise & Shine Tofu Scramble is the perfect vegan breakfast option that egg-lovers will still enjoy. It’s far from boring and the perfect way to start your morning.
We love to make it for a nice, quiet, Sunday breakfast, but it’s a great meal if you have house guests and are cooking for a lot of people too. It’s also great if you’re at the end of the week and have a bunch of vegetables that need to get eaten. Although we list to include Zucchini, Red Bell Pepper, Red Onion, and Mushrooms in this Tofu Scramble, you can use whatever you need to get rid of. Get crazy and add black beans, avocado, tomatoes, whatever you have!
Try pairing this Tofu Scramble with our Breakfast Potatoes – your mouth will thank you! We also use this egg recipe in our Vegan Breakfast Skillet, which is a combination of two of our favourite recipes, check it out!
Rise & Shine Tofu Scramble
- 1 package Firm Tofu
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Ground Tumeric
- Salt & Pepper To taste
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Zucchini Chopped
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Chopped
- 1/2 Red Onion Chopped
- 10-12 Cremini Mushrooms Chopped
- 1/4 cup Sundried Tomatoes Chopped
- Remove tofu from package and drain.
- Using your hands or a masher, crumble/mash tofu into a large bowl until it starts to resemble the consistency of scrambled eggs.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- To a frying pan over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
Once the oil is hot, add the chopped vegetables stirring frequently until the onions start to become translucent. (approximately 5-10 minutes) .
Add the tofu to the frying pan, stirring to fully incorporate the vegetables and tofu. Cook until the tofu starts to crisp up and brown slightly.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Serve alongside roasted potatoes and fresh fruit. Enjoy!
*Scrambled tofu is best served fresh, however leftovers can keep up to 1 day in the fridge.