Pickled Onions are super easy to make yourself, and are a delicious addition to any Mexican-style meal. If you’re in a rush you only need a few hours to make it, and they last for a week or two!
You only need a couple items to make these Pickled Onions, but trust us when we say everyone will be impressed when they see this colourful garnish.
- 1 large Red Onion
- 1 cup White Vinegar
- 2 cloves Garlic Peeled & quartered
- 8-10 Peppercorns
- 3/4 tsp White Sugar
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1 sprig Thyme
- 1 small Dried Chili
- Bring 4 cups of water to a boil on the stove top.
While the water is heating up, peel red onion and thinly slice the onion into 1/4 inch circles.
- Remove pot from the heat and add onions to the water, allowing to sit for 1 minute.
- Immediately remove onions and place in a mason jar.
To the mason jar add the vinegar, garlic, peppercorns, sugar, salt, thyme and dried chili peppers. Close jar and give a good shake to mix everything together.
- Ensure onions are completely covered in liquid and place in the fridge. Leave in the fridge for 2 hours or overnight.
*If in a rush, onions can be consumed after 30 minutes. For best taste we recommend waiting a minimum of 2 hours.