There aren’t many meals that are easier than quesadillas, they really are an excellent “quick, I’m in a rush” meal. They also make a great snack, appetizer and potluck-approved dish. These Hummus Quesadillas put a fun spin on this delicious classic.
When we created this recipe we had every intention of making a traditional, cheesy, Mexican quesadillas. But then we decided we wanted something a little bit different. From a strange craving, these Hummus Quesadillas were born.
Our Hummus Quesadillas pack a ton of protein and tons of important vitamins. As delicious as they are, they can be eaten guilt-free. This recipe recommends using bell peppers and onions, but feel free to explore and throw in whatever you have in your kitchen – why not try adding some sun-dried tomatoes or zucchini?! We may have to try that next… Let us know what you think!
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Red Bell Pepper Diced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper Diced
- 1/2 Red Onion Diced
- 4 Whole Wheat Tortillas Medium size
- 2 Avocados Very ripe
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 batch Garlic Hummus
- To a medium sized pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Once olive oil is heated, add bell peppers and onion to the pan. Sautee for 5 minutes, or until the onions becomes translucent and the bell peppers are slightly softened.
- Peel avocados, remove the pit and add to a bowl. Using a fork, mash the avocados until they become spreadable.
- Place a medium size pan on the stove, and bring to a medium heat.
- On a tortilla, using a knife cover one entire side with garlic hummus. Next, on half of the hummus covered side spread ¼ of your avocado mixture onto the tortilla.
- On the avocado side of the tortilla sprinkle on ¼ of the bell pepper and onion mixture along with ¼ teaspoon paprika.
- Fold the tortillas in half, so the veggie avocado mixture is on the bottom. Lightly oil each side of the tortilla and place on the preheated pan.
- After a few minute check to see if the bottom is a golden brown and flip to brown the other side.
- Quesadillas are done when both sides are golden brown.
- Repeat steps 5 through 8 on the remainder of the tortillas.
- Serve with extra hummus for dipping & enjoy!