When it comes to making food for parties, Mexican dishes always satisfy. They’re beautiful in colour, full of flavour, and can be easily customized. Our tofu tostadas with refried beans are definitely one of those simple, fun party foods, and they’re so quick to make!
These tofu tostadas really pop because of the homemade pickled onions used to garnish. The best part? They’re so simple to make, and you can do it in a pinch! They’re best left for a day or two, but you can whip them together in no time if needed.
Tostadas are always a fan-favourite because they are full of fresh flavours, and have a fun crunch to them. You don’t have to limit yourself to the toppings we’ve suggested, get creative! Looking to try something a little different? Change the flavour by adding:
- Daiya cheeze
But never forget the pickled onions, they’re too tasty to leave out.
The next time you plan to have a bunch of friends over and don’t know what to make, or if you want to change up your taco Tuesday, try giving these tofu tostadas a try. We know they’ll become a staple in your kitchen like they have in ours, and you’ll be anxiously awaiting the next Tuesday dinner!
Colourful Tofu Tostadas
- 1 package Extra-Firm Tofu
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Broth
- 1 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Dried Oregano
For Refried Beans
- 1 can Pinto Beans Drained & rinsed
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 3 tbsp Water
- pinch Salt
For Tostada Tortillas
- 8 Corn Tortillas
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt To taste
- Lettuce Chopped
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
Remove the tofu from packaging and wrap in an absorbent cloth. Place under a heavy baking pan to remove excess water for at least 10 minutes.
next, place the pinto beans in a medium size pot and add water, completely covering the beans. Bring to boil, and reduce heat to medium-low. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until the beans become tender enough to mash.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, soy sauce and vegetable broth.
- Add in the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika and oregano. Whisk until fully combined.
Remove tofu from cloth and crumble tofu over a bowl with your hands, or with a masher until it resembles ground meat.
Pour the vegetable broth mixture over the crumbled tofu and mix until it is completely coated.
Place the crumbled tofu on a tinfoil-lined baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes or until the tofu is browned, mixing the tofu half way through.
- Once the beans are completely tender remove from heat and drain. Mash the beans with a fork until no whole beans are left.
- Add in the cumin, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, cayenne, water and salt. Mix until completely combined.
- Arrange corn tortillas on two baking sheets so no tortillas are touching. Take the 1 tbsp of olive oil and brush a tiny amount on top of all of the tortillas. Only enough to add a slight sheen to the tortilla.
- Sprinkle each with a little bit of salt and place in the 375F oven for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove from oven, flip tortillas and brush the other side with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt.
- Place back in oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until tortillas have become crispy.
- Arrange refried beans on the crispy corn tortillas, add the taco meat and top with salsa, guacamole, chopped lettuce corn, and pickled onions.